While it is possible to manage all Human Resources activities manually, automation can optimize and reduce efforts, which will ultimately improve HR managers’ productivity. With challenges like constant employee turnover, overlaps in scheduling, and the need to keep and update personal documentation, a robust Human Resources Management System is an indispensable tool for a home healthcare services provider.
The client got a custom HRMS for their inner company recruitment and employee management. Since the client is planning to offer a version of this system as an SaaS, we’ve made the necessary preparations for that too.
Company Size: 500+ employees
Industry: Hospital & Healthcare
Headquaters: Arlington Heights, IL (US)
For Abcor Home Health, people are truly the key assets of the company. Abcor heavily relies on efficient recruiting and HR management to be able to scale and grow the business. Due to the specifics of the business, there is always heavy staff turnover and lack of caregivers. That’s why the company was interested in having an efficient recruiting and applicant tracking system.
The company’s key challenges are:
- Managing hundreds of employees
- Efficiently recruiting new employees
- Vetting applicants
- Training and onboarding new employees
Their HR departments needed a well-structured and usable system that would reduce the workload, securely keep data, and allow them to handle all the processes of hiring, onboarding, training, and management.
We helped to build the HRMS for medical services organization from the ground up. The solution consists of an applicant tracking system, HR system, online training, and employee portal.
System Architecture 01
We created a back-end core application and used Amazon web services for database, load balancing, messaging, media processing, and data storage. Our team has been working with AWS for many years and can boast being experts in these technologies.
- We used Amazon Relational Database Service (RDS) for ease of setting up, operating and scaling a relational database in the cloud and securing access to the data.
- As the system deals with large volumes of data like PDF documents, entered user data, videos for trainings, SCORM packages, and certificates, there is a need for scalable storage. Amazon S3 fully meets our needs providing a durable, secure, and cost-effective solution for data storing.
- There is a difficult scheme of rules for notifications and reminders. For that, we decided to use Amazon SNS and Amazon SES for simple, reliable, cost-effective messaging to hundreds of users.
HRMS features 02
User features and workflow
We created a well-organized system for different roles and permissions for Admins, HRs, Managers, Caregivers, and Applicants. This system covers all standard procedures of the HR management process and allows automating a great deal of routine to structure all information and give quick access to it.
- by an applicant from the form he/she filled out on the Abcor Landing Page
- by the system when somebody applies through Indeed.com and alike websites
- by HR manager if an applicant calls or walks in
Here is a description of these recruitment and onboarding steps where the HRMS is used:
STEP 1: RECRUITMENT
When a potential caregiver is searching for a job, she is able to either find a job advertisement in the job searching platforms, Abcor landing page or walk into one of the Abcor offices.
For each candidate the company had to save and print the resumes to either keep them in paper or manually enter the data into their electronic database. It is easy to imagine how much time was killed with all this manual routine.
To solve this challenge, Abcor system automates the recruitment by sourcing the applicants' data from all channels: job search websites, Abcor’s website, calls, and walk-ins. Thus, all applicants get listed directly in a single database, which is easily managed.
Besides, when applicants get into the system, they are assigned to particular HR specialists and offices based on their locations. If an assigned HR coordinator decides there is a potential fit, he or she sends a link with access to the applicant account. With this link the applicants can personally enter all the information required for hiring. HR coordinators only need to check the documents and interview the applicant to make the decision.
STEP 2: Selection
To proceed to the Employee position, an applicant should complete all required fields in the profile.
After that, an applicant should upload the necessary documents like a diploma, ID, driver’s license, etc, and go through pre-service training. In the image below, in red circles, you can see how many documents have to be uploaded and trainings completed before the hire.
The next step is when an HR coordinator conducts an interview in person and can simultaneously register the answers using the Fillable Interview Form attached to the profile. During the interview, an applicant signs agreements like the conditions of employment, disclosure of criminal record, privacy policies, etc. Part of such documents is standardized for governmental requirements and after being signed can be saved in PDF and printed if needed
STEP 3: hiring
Based on all provided information and documentation, an HR manager may decide to hire or reject an applicant. Applicant status may be changed to ‘In Process’, ‘Denied’, ‘On Hold’, or ‘Not Interested’. This helps to quickly decide on the next actions regarding the applicant.
When all checklists are completed, the system automatically provides HR specialist the option to transform an Applicant profile into an Employee profile at the touch of a button.
STEP 4: Employee onboarding and development
Transforming an Applicant to an Employee opens new functionality sets like:
- “Available Cases” where the Employee can select a job and send a request
- “Financial” information page with the statistics on payments
- “Availability” where the user can schedule her work.
The Employee also obtains access to inner documentation and any continuing education trainings that are necessary for the job.
Other Admin Features
The system is controlled by the Super Admin who can manage all processes, create checklists, documents, give access to portal and features to other users, and create trainings.
01 LMS for Online Trainings, Testing, and Certification
The Home Care industry is highly regulated by the state and all caregivers are required to have the appropriate training. All applicants have to pass through a 24-hour pre-service course to be eligible for hiring. Further on, employees should go through continuing education trainings to prove their certification of caregivers and nurses.
Admins create courses and trainings for the applicants, employees, and HR managers in a convenient Learning Management System. The LMS allows to:
- Create multiple lessons in a course
- Add quizzes
- Upload educational videos and photos
- Set the score and rules
- Create a certificate
- Upload a SCORM package course
- Limit time frames for course completion
- Log every user step in passing a course
- Set reminders
- Assign courses to each job position
02 Reminders and Notifications
Admins may set reminders for expiration dates of some documents, trainings, and other important events. Automated notifications can be delivered to users in 3 ways:
- Email: there are configurable email templates for different types of events
- SMS: there is a set of default SMS templates
- On-site: duplicates of email notifications are displayed to users on their profiles.
Admins can generate different kinds of reports, including:
- Applicant Checklist Percentage
- Applicant Checklist Activities Status
- Course Completion Percentage
- Documents and Forms Due Date
- Document Acknowledgement
- User Logging
Abcor plans to offer their system as a SaaS solution for similar organizations. We created a skeleton of the solution and the role of a SuperAdmin who is able to add and manage organizations. In fact, Abcor functions like one of these organizations now.
Other organizations that would like to use this HRMS will be able to buy access by subscription. They will obtain all the same functionality as Abcor but will be able to create their own positions, divisions, checklists, and trainings.
Benefits for the Client
There is a number of benefits obtained by our client as they started using the HRMS: